Meet jchensor Raise a glass and sit and stare, understand the man

Friday, June 30, 2006

Good Reading

To give you guys plenty to read about video games this weekend, I point you to a couple of really interesting articles. The overall quality of articles about gaming is improving, and I think a lot of good discussion is being brewed by the true gamers who are growing up to become writers. There is a lot to think about regarding where games are going and, while the articles conflict in ways and I agree on some points and not on others, both articles bring up valid and interesting topics.

So here you go:

The Lester Bangs of Video Games by Chuck Klosterman

CULTURE: Games and Metaphor by Eric-Jon Rossel Waugh (via Omar Kendall's blog)

(Edit: I noticed Omar Kendall has already pointed a link to the article a day before I did, so my link now points to his blog. Find the article through the link he posted on his blog.)

Enjoy!

- James

1 Comments:

  • Reading Chuck Klosterman's article reminded me of a text adventure game that is an unequivocal example of an art video game.

    Aisle is a text adventure where you only give one command, and get an ending based off of that. Some of the endings are related, most are not, and they all give different versions of who you are, what happened in the past, and what will happen to you.

    Some are happy, some are really sad, but it is a great example of how games allow for different endings to the same story for different people.

    It's playable online: Aisle
    (Hit "restart game" at the bottom left)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home